[ale] Ethernet / DSL help...

da Black Baron wyldechylde at geocities.com
Sat Jul 8 16:58:54 EDT 2000

I'm trying to get my linux box (this one) to talk to my windoze box.  I've
never had any trouble doing this before, using the very same cards I've got
installed in the respective boxes right now.  The only difference is, I've got
an extra ethernet card for my ADSL connection.

I've no problem connecting to the net through eth0, as should be obvious, but
for some reason I can't get eth1 to talk to it's windoze counterpart.  All the
windoze diagnostics (what there are of them) are go- so I'm assuming it's
something I'm doing on the linux box..

rc.inet1 simply sets eth0 to ip 0.0.0.0, and all the other values to something
suitable for dynamic configuration via pppoe (which I load in rc.local), and
here's the init values for eth1:

#########################
#Setup eth1

# Edit these values to set up a static IP address:
IPADDR="197.0.0.18"	# REPLACE with YOUR IP address!
NETMASK="255.255.255.240"	# REPLACE with YOUR netmask!
NETWORK="197.0.0.16"	# REPLACE with YOUR network address!
BROADCAST="197.0.0.31"	# REPLACE with YOUR broadcast address, if you
			# have one. If not, leave blank and edit below.
GATEWAY="197.0.0.17"	# REPLACE with YOUR gateway address!

# To use DHCP instead of a static IP, set this value to "yes":
DHCP="no"            # Use DHCP ("yes" or "no")

# OK, time to set up the interface:
if [ "$DHCP" = "yes" ]; then # use DHCP to set everything up:
  echo "Attempting to configure eth0 by contacting a DHCP server..."
  /sbin/dhcpcd
elif [ ! "$IPADDR" = "127.0.0.1" ]; then # set up IP statically:
  # Set up the ethernet card:
  echo "Configuring eth1 as ${IPADDR}..."
  /sbin/ifconfig eth1 ${IPADDR} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask ${NETMASK}

  # If that didn't succeed, give the system administrator some hints:
  if [ ! $? = 0 ]; then
    cat << EOF
Your ethernet card was not initialized properly.  Here are some reasons why this
may have happened, and the solutions:
1. Your kernel does not contain support for your card.  Including all the
   network drivers in a Linux kernel can make it too large to even boot, and
   sometimes including extra drivers can cause system hangs.  To support your
   ethernet, either edit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to load the support at boottime,
   or compile and install a kernel that contains support.
2. You don't have an ethernet card, in which case you should comment out this
   section of /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.  (Unless you don't mind seeing this error...)
EOF
  fi

  # Older kernel versions need this to set up the eth0 routing table:
  KVERSION=`uname -r | cut -f 1,2 -d .`
  if [ "$KVERSION" = "1.0" -o "$KVERSION" = "1.1" \
   -o "$KVERSION" = "1.2" -o "$KVERSION" = "2.0" -o "$KVERSION" = "" ]; then
    /sbin/route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK} eth1
  fi

  # If there is a gateway defined, then set it up:
  if [ ! "$GATEWAY" = "" ]; then
    /sbin/route add default gw ${GATEWAY} netmask 255.255.255.240 metric 1
  fi

fi

As you can see, I just copied the stock ethernet config, and replicated it
substituting suitable values for my local net.   If anyone can spot where I'm
going wrong, I would appreciate it much!

Thanks!

da Baron

--
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits." -- Mark Twain