[ale] lilo error - "Empty map section"

Omar Loggiodice ologgio at vrainn.com
Fri Jul 7 19:17:55 EDT 2000

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, John Hyland wrote:

>Hi, everybody.  I'm making a kickstart installation for a specialized system.
>It basically runs through a fairly typical Red Hat installation and installs
>some rpms, all of which are relatively standard except for ZapEnv, which is a
>home-rolled rpm consisting basically of a few files.  The installation works
>fine, and when it's done I have what seems to be a functional RedHat install.
>
>However, after the install is done, if I try to run lilo I get an error message
>reading "Empty map section".  I've read the Lilo User's Guide, the Lilo
[..deleted..]
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         4568 Sep 22  1999 boot.b
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          612 Sep 22  1999 chain.b
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Jul  7 05:03 initrd-2.2.12-20.img
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^

There is your problem. The initrd RAM disk image is 0 bytes.
Lilo tries to create the /boot/map file, but when it comes
to mapping the initrd image it has problems because it is
empty.

Using an initial ram disk is typically done to load modules
after the kernel has half-booted. It is heavilly used by
distributions in installation boot floppies.

You can read more about initrd in
linux/Documentaion/initrd.txt (in the kernel sources).

I doubt you need an initrd image, so simply delete that line
from your lilo.conf file (in the zapenv rpm). This will
imply a "normal" (i.e.  without initial ramdisk)  booting
process.

Omar