[ale] Opinion Call: Firewalls for DSL

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Jul 5 10:27:51 EDT 2000

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 05:56:48PM -0400, Robert Hoffman wrote:
> I have just built a new firewall using FreeBSD. This was my first foray into the FreeBSD world but it wasn't that hard to figure out (it is very similar to Linux but without the SystemV init system.) I have to say that I really like FreeBSD. The reason I switched was for the rock-solid stability, and the TCP/IP stack. I figure that if FreeBSD's IP stack is 10% more efficient than Linux's, that's 10% more bandwidth for my users.

Hmm.  I'd think "efficient" would refer to cpu utilization or processing
speed or something like that.  TCP/IP is still TCP/IP, and you're not
going to get 10% more _bandwidth_ out of the same pipe unless you have a
pretty slow machine pushing bits..

 - Pizza
Solomon Peachy                                        pizza at cc.gatech.edu
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                        +1(404)294-6978
Patience comes to those who wait.                            ICQ #1318344
    ...It's not "Beanbag Love", it's a "Transanimate Relationship"...