[ale] Video card for viewing cable

Subba Rao subb3 at attglobal.net
Sat Dec 30 01:29:58 EST 2000

On  0, Stephen Pellicer <spellicer at 8thlayer.net> wrote:
> On 2000.12.27 11:42:41 -0500 Subba Rao wrote:
> > I am new to the Video on Linux area. Is there an FAQ for this field?
> > My plans on Linux is to add the capability to view video(VCR) and
> > TV/cable.
>
> I've been using the Hauppage WinTV PCI card. It's an older one, but works
> great for everything I've used it for. The TV use works great. I got an old
> video camera hooked to the composite in and that works great too. Most
> Video4Linux apps at least mention support for the bttv (brooktrout chip?)
> driver in some way. I've had support for the life of the card which is
> probably working on over a year now. I mostly use the xawtv app with it for
> both watching TV and video capture. I don't do a whole lot of capture, but
> the little I've done has been pretty good.
>
> I think ATI based TV cards have been making more of a showing, but I think
> it's newer. There may even be support for Voodoo TV cards out there too.
> I've had some trouble trying some of the new XVideo extensions to XFree86
> 4.x with the card, but that extension is pretty cryptic on how to set it
> up. I believe the development of these extensions was done with a different
> card.
>
> For basic capture and TV though, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the older
> model Hauppage WinTV PCI cards. Can't say much about other vid cards or USB
> type models. I don't recall seeing any mention of the USB models in USB on
> Linux stuff I've seen.

One of the spare machines has a ATI All-in-Wonder Pro AGP card. This card
supports Video on WindowXX world. It has CATV, A/V IN and A/V OUT. The chipset
on this card is "3D Rage Pro". Will this card support video on Linux? Initially,
I am looking for TV/Video viewing only on Linux. At a later stage, I may want
video out.

--

Subba Rao
subb3 at attglobal.net