[ale] OT: spam

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Dec 29 09:18:39 EST 2000

Just found a nasty twist on spam.  I was attempting to visit the ietf
web site and went to www.ietf.com rather than www.ietf.org.  I
immediately noticed my error, and changed the url, but there appears to
be an ugly side effect of my visit to ietf.com.  That is, the ietf.com
site opened up a small netscape window in the bottom right of my screen
which I didn't notice.  Then every few minutes, a new Netscape window
would pop up with some sort of spam.  I'd kill the window and another
would immediately pop up.  I'd kill that one and another would pop up a
few minutes later.  This kept going until I happened to notice the
little window in the bottom corner.  If I move the window, it would
always force itself to the bottom, so the first time I thought it just
died, but then I received another popup spam.  I found the little window
again, and resized it to a larger window.  I then attempted to 'view
source' but the right mouse button would not bring up the source
window.  When I released the mouse button, the window resized itself to
the small window and moved back to the bottom right corner of my screen.

Pretty slick spamming if you ask me.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein