[ale] Video card for viewing cable

Subba Rao subb3 at attglobal.net
Fri Dec 29 02:40:43 EST 2000

On  0, Stuffed Crust <pizza at shaftnet.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 04:42:41PM +0000, Subba Rao wrote:
> > I am new to the Video on Linux area. Is there an FAQ for this field?
> > My plans on Linux is to add the capability to view video(VCR) and TV/cable.
> > Is there a recommended Video card that I should invest in? What are the video
> > cards that I need to avoid? My current kernel is 2.2.16.
>
> Any card with a Bt848/878 chipset (in other wordsm 95% of the TV cards
> on the market) will work great.  I'd recommend you head to eBay and look
> for a "STB TV PCI" -- there are usually 5-6 going at any one time, for
> around $30-40.  They handle Stereo and FM broadcasts too, and work
> wonderfully with the bttv drivers.

Thank you and to everyone who replied. I will look into the BT848/878 chipset
cards. One other question about the channel listing, most cards list only 125
channels on the box. What about if you get 125+ channels from your cable
company? This is not a feature that will stop me from getting the card.

Thanks again and Wish you all a Happy New Year.
--

Subba Rao
subb3 at attglobal.net
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/