[ale] Native Office Suties

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Wed Dec 27 21:18:19 EST 2000

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 09:49:31 -0500 "Douglas Knudsen"
<doug at cubicleman.com> writes:
> ...and according to the Sun rep I spoke to at ALS, Sun is supposed to
> be breaking the huge Star Office Iceberg into pieces as in Star Office
> 'Word', etc...  IMHO, this will really help those us that do not have
access
> to PIIIs with 256MBs of memory.  As it stands currently, Star Office is

> a real resource hog.  Back in Grad school, my dept had a bunch of Sparc

> Terminals and a couple of Sparc 5s for us lowly grad students.  (the
profs did
> not have much more in the way of computing)  Trying to run StarOffice
in
> an environment such as that was awfull to say the least.

        AFAIK, StarOffice as it is now known will cease to exist. It is
being changed into OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org). There are
alpha versions of OpenOffice 6, but I do not recommend trying them yet. I
installed one and it was quite buggy and seamed a bit hackish. They still
aren't split apart, but that awful desktop and start button are gone. It
looks like it has potential, but it still has a long way to go. I have
used WordPerfect 8, KOffice, StarOffice and GNOME Office all before and I
think that overall I prefer KOffice right now. It seems to run faster
than StarOffice and has more visible features than GNOME Office.
WordPerfect was nice, but had a few quirks I couldn't deal with. I have
only really played much with AbiWord when it comes to GNOME. I found it
to be nice also, I just have a few issues with GTK. As far as native
office suites, the current versions of Corel's suite run under a
customized wine, but future versions are going to be compiled under
winelib. With Corel selling their linux department, I don't know how the
future of that looks.

Michael Golden