[ale] Native Office Suties

Mark R. Lindsey 30ae+fdd4.e6e4__ at mark.datasys.net
Sun Dec 24 18:54:29 EST 2000

Michael Warfield said:
: On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 04:39:46PM -0500, Richard Storey wrote:
: > Recently, I think that I read an article claiming the Star Office and Corel
: > Wordperfect are not running natively on Linux, but by emulation or something.
: >  It also claimed that Applixware is the only native Linux Office suite.
: > Could anyone offer a brief explanation/confirmation of these claims?
:
: 	Corel runs under Wine.  Applixware and StarOffice both run native.
: I have all three.  Corel is nice for a wide support of formats but
: can be a bit flakey.  Right now, I'm focusing on StarOffice.

I, too, like StarOffice. However relevant to the above discussion, one should
note that it actually runs on a Java Virtual Machine (JVM); this gives
it portability to run on most environments that have a JVM available without
waiting on Sun to port StarOffice itself.

StarOffice has a published Java API that can be used to extend it; see
http://soldc.sun.com/staroffice/

Richard -- where was it that you were reading about that? Was the author
arguing that one office suite was superior than another?