[ale] Adding second disk...

Ben Phillips pynk at angband.org
Fri Dec 22 13:53:50 EST 2000

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Dan Mount wrote:

> I've got an SGI Indigo2 that I'd like to add a second hard drive to. I'd
> like to mount it as /usr. I'd like to move everything in the current
> /usr to the new drive. What's the best way to accomplish this?

Say /dev/???? is the new drive.  You can do this at your friendly
neighborhood root prompt:

# telinit 1     [or whatever the IRIX method of switching to runlevel 1 is]
# mkdir /drive2
# mount /dev/???? /drive2
# ( cd /usr; tar cv . ) | ( cd /drive2; tar xvp )

[obviously you want to check carefully to make 100% sure everything's there
& safe & the permissions are right before you do this next part]

# rm -rf /usr/*
# umount /drive2
# mount /dev/???? /usr

[...and modify /etc/fstab to reflect that last part]

Of course, you may want the stuff in /usr to be in a subdirectory of this
new drive (as opposed to the root), so you'd do a 'mkdir /drive2/usr' before
moving everything over, replace "/drive2" in that tar command with
"/drive2/usr", and then instead of mounting the new drive directly to /usr,
you'll replace those last three commands above with:

# rm -rf /usr
# ln -s /drive2/usr /usr

That should be pretty seamless -- at least it is under linux.  (And, again,
modify /etc/fstab so it mounts your new drive, if you haven't already.)

                      __   _                 "I hate to advocate drugs,
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,     alcohol, violence or
pynk at angband.org     |  | ()|||||||||[:::)    insanity, but they've
                     \__.-._)         '''     always worked for me."
		                                 -- Hunter S. Thompson