[ale] GUI Login

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Dec 22 09:11:11 EST 2000

Eric Brubakken wrote:

> Upon reinstalling RH6.1, I choose to have a GUI login screen - nice but
> would rather go back to the standard login.  Just what/where do I make
> changes to get back to the normal login screen?

I assume you are referring to the X login screen which is generated by
one of: xdm, gdm, kdm.  If this is the case and what you're looking to
do is to change it so that when your machine reboots, you have an ascii
'login:' prompt, you need to make this change in the /etc/inittab file.
There should be an entry something like:

id:5:initdefault:

You would want to change the '5' in this string to a '3'

By the way, this can vary from one dist. to another.  It just so happens
I'm running RH 6.1 on one machine.  On my SuSE install the values are
different.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein