[ale] Install on Fresh Machine - Opinions?

JB Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 10:54:50 EST 2000

The problem with this is that Windows will only
install in the first partition on the disk.  It's been
awhile since I've done an install such as this, so
correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that if you
have multiple partitions, Windows won't install
anywhere other than the first partition.  If you
installed linux in the first partition, Windows will
indeed *trash* this installation.

--- Dan Newcombe <Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu> wrote:
> James Kinney <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>  said:
> > Install Windows first _after_ makeing an empty
> partition to put linux
> > in. It will make life easier. Linux will install
> nicely after windows.
> > Windows will trash a linux installation.
>
> Windows will not trash a linux installation...that's
> just wrong to say.
> It will not touch the partition.  The only thing
> that a windows
> installation does which will interfer is rewrite the
> master boot record
> and set the bootable partition to the windows
> partition so when it reboots
> one of the many times during an install it can
> continue.
>
> All you need do to fix this is boot linux with a
> boot disk and re-run
> lilo.

=====
John B. Wells IV