[ale] DSL Data Points (Long and meandering)

Bob's ALE Mail transam at cavu.com
Tue Dec 19 00:00:03 EST 2000

> John Mills writes:
>  >
>  > 3) Wednesday I ordered Bob Toxen's _Real World Linux Security_ from Barnes
>  >     and Noble, generic surface shipping. Stock page said, "Ships in 2-3
>  >     days". Next day I got the 'Your order shipped' note. Today (Fri.) I got
>  >     the book. That's the only piece of mail I've gotten in reasonable time
>  >     in the last 3 weeks!
>  >
>  >    Full points to Barnes and Noble.

> Interesting.  I ordered it from FatBrain and two days later I got an
> email in the morning that it had been shipped.  That afternoon I
> received it.

> How'd you do that, Bob?  It's gotta be the book, not the bookstore.
> That's the only constant.

Do I have to tell the secret?

I know that Amazon has a warehouse near Metro Atlanta that explains
fast deliveries.  Perhaps B&N does too.  FatBrain was bought by B&N and
may use same shipping channel.

My friend in NYC says that B&N uses couriers there and delivery time
in Manhattan can be 2 hours!

Borders claims that they will stock the book in each of their stores
but call ahead:

	Borders Bookstore	770-612-0940 Cobb Parkway
	Borders Bookstore	770-495-4043 3555 Gwinnett Place, Duluth
	Borders Bookstore	404-237-0707 3637 P'tree Rd, Atlanta

	ISBN 0-13-028187-5

Some B&N stores may stock it.

The Engineers Bookstore across from Tech should stock it and all
Prentice Hall books.

> --Michael

Bob