Residential Broadband Single Point of Failure (was RE: [ale] DSL Data Points (Long and meandering))

Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 18 14:48:10 EST 2000

"Davis, Ricardo C." wrote:
> A few months ago when I shopped around for ADSL & Cable Modem service, none
> of the providers included the ability to connect to their POP via 56K
> without charging extra per hour rates (yikes!)

Did you look at Mindspring (now Earthlink)?  They include 20 hours/month
of dialup 56K access for "roaming access".  It's also my understanding
that if you have to use dialup access for over 20 hours due to ADSL
outage, you can call and have the dialup charges dropped (though I
haven't had to try this myself).  While I have seen a multi-hour outage
or two (typically a BellSouth problem), I haven't seen multi-day
outages.

Ben