[ale] Stupid socket tricks

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Mon Dec 18 13:48:11 EST 2000

I'm looking for a solution to a problem, and I stumbled upon the named
pipe as a possible solution, but it doesn't behave in the needed manner.

What I am trying to do is cause data from one process to be distributed to
multiple processes, some of which may or may not be there, but the data is
real-time, and any data that was there before a receiving process started
is not to be delivered to that process.  (the application is an MP3
streamer)

...so I tried mkfifo, and created a named pipe.  Then, in three separate
windows, I started two instances of "cat testsocket" and one of "cat
>testsocket".  I typed into the third of these, but the data were only
delivered to one of the other two.

...so I figured maybe the second one was waiting for another write.  So I
opened another window and started two each of "cat testsocket" and "cat
>testsocket".  Typing into either of the "cat >testsocket" instances
resulted in the data coming back out the same instance of "cat
testsocket" (the first instance).

So what do I need to do differently?  I want to have the MP3's generated
in realtime and anything for which there is no receiver needs to go to the
bit bucket in the sky.

Thanks in advance.

glasher at nycap.rr.com
After 163 days, Verizon still couln't deliver Telocity DSL.