[ale] Line Tester, Polarity, and ADSL

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Mon Dec 18 12:37:54 EST 2000

Well, if Star Trek has taught us anything, it's that when all
else fails, reverse the polarity :-)

It used to be (back in the days when all phone equipment and
wiring was the property of Ma Bell) that phone equipment was
intolerant of polarity reversals (I particularly remember that
touch-tone keypads would not work).  These days, I think most
consumer phone equipment will work regardless of how it's
connected, because if the consumer has installed their own
wiring, it will probably be wrong 50% of the time.

Even in the case of Ethernet hubs and adapters, you often read
that they have "auto polarity correction".

So, I would speculate that (at least some) DSL equipment might
also be tolerant of polarity reversals.  However, I have no
evidence in support of this.  (Someone else bold enough to
experiment with their DSL equipment?)

FWIW, A quick search for 'polarity' at http://www.dslreports.com/
turns up others giving the opinion that polarity is no longer
important.  If nothing else, I would think there is no middle
ground -- either it will work fine or not at all.

--Joe