[ale] nmap scans

Jonathan Rickman infosec at alltel.net
Thu Dec 14 12:14:24 EST 2000

As far as I know, you're not going to have a lot of success trying to
increase the difficulty number reported by nmap. This is dependent on the
type of TCP Sequence Prediction the OS uses. A machine running Linux 2.0.x
will score in the millions, where a machine running W2K will barely hit
the thousands. Which is more secure? Depends on the services running. If
the W2K box is running Exchange and the Linux box is running Sendmail
7.x.x or WUFtp, I'd put my faith in the Windows box...regardless of the
score. The OS is only as secure as the services it offers.

--
Jonathan Rickman
http://www.xcorps.net/jonathan