[ale] wine/plex86

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Wed Dec 13 20:29:15 EST 2000

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:56:00 -0500 Wandered Inn
<esoteric at denali.atlnet.com> writes:
> Any experience with vmware?  If so, care to 'compare/contrast?'

        I have run the VMWare trial before and plex86. VMWare is _much_
faster. I actually installed and ran Win98 in VMWare, but anytime I tried
in plex86, it was unable to finish the installation. The time estimates
in the windows installer showed perhaps 90 mins in VMWare, compared to
almost exactly 500 mins in plex86 for my trials. I personally found
plex86 harder to use also. If you own a copy of VMWare, use it instead.
Plex86 looks promising, but it will be a while. The problem is that
plex86 is or is based on bochs which does complete CPU emulation. VMWare
does not need to do full emulation because it is still running on an i386
processor. Plex86/Bochs was designed to be able to run on any processor.
I'm not sure of the status of things such as dynamic translation in
plex86 that are supposed to speed it up, but last I checked they were not
implemented. Contrary to popular belief, Wine can run quite a few
programs. More popular programs are more likely to run because that is
where developers focus their efforts. But, it must be noted that it is
still alpha software and not everything will run. Wine is quite a bit
faster than both VMWare and plex86 and does not require as much RAM as
they do. Wine is making fast progress and therefore any testing you do
should be done with the latest release (approx. every 2 weeks). If you
choose to send in a bug report, please fill out all of the information
requested in the documentation.

Anything I left out?

Michael Golden