[ale] Scanners

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 13 11:24:31 EST 2000

> Could someone tell me how to get my scannuer up and running in drake =
> 7.2?

The most common scanner system for linux is SANE. Take a look at

http://www.mostang.com/sane

I'm not sure if Mandrake 7.2 has it installed already.

> I know in M$ it uses Twain32.

Not relevant. TWAIN is a software only interface between Windows scanner
applications and Windows scanner drivers. Since you will be running neither
the apps or the drivers on your Linux box, the interface between them
disappears.

What would be helpful is the make manufacturer and physical interface of
the scanner. That's the information required to determine if there is a
SANE backend (driver) for it.

For example I have a old HP ScanJet II with a SCSI interface.

WHat do you have?

BAJ