[ale] VMWare/KDE

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Dec 13 10:09:49 EST 2000

> Chris Fowler wrote:
>
> Izzie,
>
> the vmware is the 30-day version.  There is no free version.  I
> believe Vmware is $299 and $99 for educational.  I really like what
> vmware does.  I really hate the price.  It is more expensive than
> VirtualPC for the macintosh.  You can get more performance by spending
> the $299 on a real computer and a little extra for a 2 port KVM
> switch.  I used to use NT 4.0 as a guest in Vmware, but CorelDraw,
> Photoshop performce was horrible.  There was no USB support and
> getting parallel devices to work was a pain.  Charge $59.99 for the
> product and I'll buy it.  Take a look at Win4Lin and the Free version
> ov vmware.   I invite everyone on ale to talk about this subject and
> tell me why I should pay for it.

You confused my with that second to last line, 'free version ov [of?]
vmware.'  As you noted in earlier, there is no free version of vmware.
As I noted in an earlier email, the vmware web site says the $99
educational price is going away soon, might be already gone.   I
personally would not pay $299 for it.  Also as noted, there are other
tools that work similar, such as plex86, which was highlighted on
slashdot a while back.

If I had it to do over again, I'd certainly check out plex86 and the
others prior to purchasing vmware, although at the time, I was not aware
of any other tools that provided this functionality.   I've tried wine a
couple of times, but it just never worked well enough to stay with it.
Now, vmware/plex86 and wine are totally different tools.  One main thing
I don't like about vmware/plex86 is you have to have the M$ OS which
isn't doing you much good from the perspective of NOT paying the M$ tax.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein