[ale] VMWare/KDE

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Dec 13 10:04:17 EST 2000

> "I. Herman" wrote:
>
> Quick question about vmware:
>
> I recently installed Mandrake 7.2, and when adding some extra
> applications I went ahead and installed vmware.  Is that the 30-day
> trial version or a typical open/free source version?

As I understand it, there is no free version of vmware.  If there is,
I'm pissed, cause I paid for it at the ALS. :)  Since then I've found
there are similar tools, like plex86 (check out slashdot for more info
there) that are either free or cheaper.

I believe it will time out on you.  You should be able to purchase it by
going to the vmware site, but you might want to hurry as I understand
that the individual license price (~$100) is going away soon.

> Also, where is a good how-to on vmware?

There is some info on the vmware site, but I found that there is a lot
of stuff you need to know that's not there.  I spent quite a bit of time
corresponding via email with vmware support, before I was successful in
resolving my problems.

They were very responsive though.  They also told me that a lot of the
info I had gotten from them via email was not available on the web site.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein