[ale] SAMBA Problems

Eric Brubakkken eric_t_brubakken at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 13 07:15:39 EST 2000

Background info:
Two weeks ago my DSL went down.  BTW, I can't get Speakeasy out to look at
in until mid January - GREAT SUPPORT!   I would cancel but, I can't find
anyone else that will even talk to me about geting DSL in my area.

When this happened my connection from all my Winboxes thru Samba stop
working ( no domain server found error message )

I set samba up over a year ago and haven't touched it since.  The daemons
for both samba and netbios seem to be running.  At least that is what top
reports.

I have looked at my smb.conf and all appear normal.  When running testparm
these are the results:
[root at mainserv /etc]# testparm
Load smb config files from /etc/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[public]"
Loaded services file OK.

I am able to stop and restart everything:
root at mainserv /root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart
Shutting down SMB services: [  OK  ]
Shutting down NMB services: [  OK  ]
Starting SMB services: [  OK  ]
Starting NMB services: [  OK  ]

With my limited troubleshooting knowledge of this, I get these results:
smbclient -NL mainserv
Added interface ip=64.81.31.123 bcast=64.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
Added interface ip=192.168.0.2 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session request to MAINSERV failed
session request to *SMBSERVER failed

So at this point I am loss.  Does anyone know where I can find out info on
troubleshooting this mess.  Could this be related to my not having my DSL
connection working?

Thanks

Eric