[ale] Comments sought on port scan

Jonathan Rickman infosec at alltel.net
Tue Dec 12 13:39:37 EST 2000

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, John Mills wrote:

> I don't need serve smtp, AFAIK. I run 'fetchmail' as a pop-client to the
> ISP, putting mail on sendmail locally. Outgoing hits the ISP's SMTP server
> directly.
>
> Where do I turn this off at with regard to net access?

Add the following line to your /etc/sendmail.cf file:

0 DaemonPortOptions=Addr=127.0.0.1

I've never tried using the loopback address before, but I use this line
frequently when setting up dual nic machines acting as outbound smtp
gateways. I just specify the internal address. This binds sendmail to the
specified address. One would assume this works for the loopback as well.

Internal NIC:

[jonathan at abacus jonathan]$ nmap 192.168.0.254

Starting nmap V. 2.53 by fyodor at insecure.org ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on gate2 (192.168.0.254):
(The 1521 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
25/tcp     open        smtp

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 16 seconds
[jonathan at abacus jonathan]$

External NIC:

[jonathan at abacus jonathan]$ nmap xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Starting nmap V. 2.53 by fyodor at insecure.org ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
All 1523 scanned ports on gate1 (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) are: closed
Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 21 seconds
[jonathan at abacus jonathan]$

--
Jonathan Rickman
http://www.xcorps.net/jonathan