[ale] Charter Communications intercepting HTTP requests

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Fri Dec 8 21:28:41 EST 2000

Charter Communications seems to intercept all of my HTTP requests
and redirects them to their HTTP proxy cache.

This is done transparently using NAT so the user is not aware
that all the requests are proxied.
( tcpdump on the client shows the destination address of web server,
  tcpdump on web server shows the  source address of the proxy )

Since I have yet to see a proxy without logging features
I find this very troublesome.

Is this interception / faking of IP source addresses legal ?
If it is not legal can anyone recommend a "Digital Privacy" group?

Thanks
	Stephan