[ale] Re: FYI - Charter Customers - Not specifically ALE related

Bao Ha baoh at linuxwizardry.com
Fri Dec 8 11:10:01 EST 2000

Is
BellSouth (Georgia) using PPPoE or DHCP?  BellSouth (Florida) is
using
DHCP
which is very easy to setup.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Either
way, put the Linux server to do masquerading and you are all set to go.
We
are
building Linux-based routers which can handle DSL/cable modems quite
well.
In
certain DSL areas, it works much better than the Windows-based
Access
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Manager, or even other routers like LinkSys.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Bao

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: owner-ale at ale.org
  [mailto:owner-ale at ale.org]On Behalf Of John H.
  StephensonSent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 11:15 PMTo:
  bill.cotton at myisi.com; Michael Smith; ale at ale.orgSubject: Re: [ale]
  Re: FYI - Charter Customers - Not specifically ALE
  relatedBellSouth FastAccess DSL is finally available
  at my location. But I am worried about the warnings that Bellsouth is giving
  on their site that says that the DSL service "may not work with Windows2000."
  (See the Adobe pdf file at https://fast1.corp.bellsouth.net/adsl/win2000.pdf
  and, please, no flames for my using Windows!!!! :)I am currently
  running a TCP/IP LAN in my home consisting of:1 Red Hat 7 Linux
  server1 Windows 2000 workstation1 Windows 2000 laptop1 Windows 98
  workstationThis network is set-up thusly:a Charter Cable COM21
  Cable Modem (static IP) > a Watchguard Technologies SOHO IP address sharing
  router/firewall > HP Procurve 10/100 Hub > everything
  elseEverything is running fine now (when Charter is up and
  running)!My questions (maybe dumb)...Why does the DSL Modem
  care what OS is running on any of the systems in the LAN? Can I
  use the DSL service the same way that I am using Charter?Will the
  Linux server be "supported" by the DSL service?Should I bother messing
  with the setup that is generally working (even though Charter's service is
  marginal with a lot of outages)?Thanks, guys.JohnAt