[ale] Inetd Setup Question on RH6.2

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Dec 7 21:14:19 EST 2000

Redhat 6.2 does not have ssh at all. So their inetd.conf file does not
support it "out of the box". There are pro and con's to running sshd from
inetd. Most of the con's have to do with startup speed of the new thread
to handle an incomming request for connection. If you use the openssh
rpm's, they will install an /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd init script for starting
and stoping based on run levels. This is a great way to run sshd.

Also, if your system has no default /etc/inetd.conf, check to see if you
have netkit -base installed (rpm -q netkit-base).

Have a look at xinetd. It has much more flexibility and control than
inetd.

JimK
Local Net Solutions