[ale] an aside - mathematics for programming

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 6 02:52:47 EST 2000

Vernard Martin wrote:

> > 1. In my two years of programming, I've not run across a problem that really
> > required any high-level mathematical concepts to solve.  What then, is the
> > reason for the intensive math classes (i.e., algebra, calculus, geometry,
> > etc.)? When will classes like these come into play.
>
> Well, to be honest, they may not ever come into play. I'm working on a phd (and
> have been do for over 7 years) and in general, you won't need these skills to
> be a programmer. Being a _computer scientist_ is a completely diffferent matter.
> Its the difference between a deer hunter and being a soldier. They share skills
> but they far from being the same thing.

I have a BS in mathematics. In the nearly 10 years I've been
programming professionally, I've forgotten virtually all the
math I learned in college, which is one of my greatest regrets.
You don't -need- math to be a programmer, but you may find you
-want- it later on, for other reasons.

> > 3. Does anyone know of a general book that cover most
> > of the math a typical programmer would need?
>
> Nope. To my knowledge, its never been collected in that kind of context. I
> often recommend that folks go to a library and peruse a copy of "The Art of
> Computer Programming" by Donald Knuth. He introduces the mathematics involved
> with certain common algorithms (such as searching, sorting, etc) when he
> introduces the concept. Eve though everything that is present

Knuth and some other folks have a book out called "Concrete
Mathematics",
which is explicitly aimed at CS majors:

Graham, Ronald L. et al, Concrete Mathematics, Addison-Wesley 1992
ISBN 0-201-14236-8.

Incidentally, I find this book very tough going in my current
mathematically-challenged state.

-- Joe