[ale] Samba: Newbie Questions

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Sat Dec 2 23:26:40 EST 2000

I'm making a few assumptions here.

1) This is an intranet server that really won't be involved in sharing
files via NetBIOS. ('cause that's the only way any of this makes sense)

2) You have the capability to run some type of port forwarding.

3) This machine is not acting as a router for ANYTHING

Solution...Have all traffic headed for the NetBIOS ports (137,139)
redirected to the WWW port (80). Windows Explorer on Win95b and up with
IE4 and up will switch to IE and open the default page. I just did it a
few minutes ago through my firewall, now you just have to figure out how
to do it on the local machine.

Now with that being said, how hard is it to bookmark the thing in a
browser...or make it the default startup page...or give it a WINS entry of
"servername" and have the users type it in...or put the html in one of the
shared folders with a filename of "clickmetostart.htm"...

Now that I think about it...I have no idea what you're trying to do, but I
desperately want to help you...please provide a little more detail.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security