[ale] SuSE

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Fri Dec 1 16:35:56 EST 2000

Martin -

I currently run SuSE 7.0 Professional at home.

I am having a better experience with it than I had with RH 6.2 or Mandrake
7.1, but there are still some things I need to work out.  For instance,
Samba wasn't starting at boot, but even once I figured out how SuSE does
service boot controlling relative to RH, I still wasn't able to get it to
work (needs more study!).

The best part, to me, was having ReiserFS available out of the box and
having my AC97 audio recognized at boot (at least I think it works; I've
never plugged anything up to the audio output to see, but XMMS acts like
it's working).

Now, part of the reason I paid the $$ for a shrinkwrap copy was because I
was willing to pay for support, but I don't really feel like I get much for
having done so.  I also was hoping for a more user-friendly mechanism for
doing post-install upgrades.

One problem I'm having is that my first GUI login craps out and lands me at
a second login, which works.

I will probably re-install in a week or so - I'm replacing my Initio-based
narrow SCSI card with an NCR 810-based one due to issues with the CD burner
(disk-at-once audio CDs screw up partway through).

- Jeff