[ale] Sharing DSL/Cable connections

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Thu Aug 31 07:30:46 EDT 2000

The simplest, but not necessarily least expensive way to
share a DSL/Cable internet connection is to use the Linksys
DSL router.  It has 4 10/100 ports on it, and a RJ-45 WAN
(DSL/Cable) port for connecting to your DSL/Cable modem.
You then use any web browser to configure it.  You can also
connect it to another hub, thereby connecting everyone on
your network.  All you then need to do is provide the
default gateway and DNS IP's to all of the clients.  This
box supports up to 254 clients, and is platform independant.
It also supports PPPoE, as well as PPTP/IPSEC for VPN's.

-------

Charles Marcus

Behalf Of John
> Mills
> Sent: Saturday, January 02, 1999 9:23 AM
> To: Ed June
> Cc: ale at ale.org
> Subject: Multi-drop PPPoE (Re: [ale] Mindspring/Earthlink
DSL
> and linux
> ?)
>

> Hello -
>
> Mindspring/Earthlink 'allows' up to 3 computers per DSL
connection
> according to their web page. They also say more than one
computer is
> unsupported, and don't seem willing to talk about it on
the phone. How
> well do multiple computers on one modem coexist?
>
> I assume I would put in a hub at the modem, then my [two]
> computers would
> independently use the link. Is that correct, or would then
have to
> coordinate and only one establish a link at one time? How
> could the two
> computers establish a link to each other, without having
independently
> established their PPP links to Mindspring?
>
> One will be Linux, one is an iMac: I expect limits my
options.