[ale] Advice Request -> IPFW ruleset

Wandered Inn esoteric at atlnet.com
Mon Aug 28 11:55:59 EDT 2000

Courtney Thomas wrote:

> Greetings !
>
> Being a novice IPFW installer, I'd appreciate comments, with as much
> specificity as possible, regarding setting up a new firewall for a lan.
>
> The default will be:
>
> 1-      allow all from any to any

Everthing I've read about firewalls say your default is deny all.

Point is, you can then open things up as needed.  By opening all the
doors then attempting to close the ones you think should be closed, are
you sure you've closed all of them?  If you start off with all your
doors closed, you'll find out which ones you want open...

I've seen two pretty good approaches to creating chains, one in the
howto the other in a book, Linux Firewalls, Auth. Robert L. Ziegler,
Pub. New Riders.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

Microsoft != Innovation