[ale] Disk Image Question

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Fri Aug 25 18:35:12 EDT 2000

I'd rather keep this as dummy-proof as possible, as there
will be non-techies that may be using this system at our
remote offices.  I plan on writing a script so I can create
install images, put them on CD's (more than one if
necessary), and run them from a bootable CD.

These will be LTServers (Linux Terminal Services Servers -
www.ltsp.org), and I'm still debating on how the partitions
will be setup.

I was thinking either:

1. 3 partitions - a) Boot/System, b) Swap, c) User Data,

2. 4 partitions - a) Boot/System, b) Swap, c) Applications,
d) User Data.

I won't know for sure until I know how much space each part
will take up.  The deciding factor will be how much will fit
on one CD.  Obviously, I'd rather have it all fit on one,
and it might, considering Ghost compression is reasonably
good, but I'll have to wait and see.

Some questions:

1. If I am able to do this, will it be very
complex/difficult to make configuration changes like, for
example:
   a) domain name for authentication (each office will have
a slightly different domain name)
   b) IP/MAC address changes

2. How many places are things like this stored, and how
difficult will it be to make blanket changes whenever a new
Server is set up?

-------

Charles Marcus

Behalf Of Fletch
> Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 5:50 PM
> To: Charles Marcus
> Cc: ale at ale.org
> Subject: Re: [ale] Disk Image Question
>

>         If you're planning to use RedHat, you might want
look into
> their kickstart installation mechanism.  It allows you to
create your
> own custom installation specification that details how to
> find network
> information, what rpms to load, lets you write a script to
be
> run post
> install, yadda yadda yadda.  Similar to Solaris'
Jumpstart.

>         Search redhat.com for kickstart, but I believe
it's documented
> as an appendix to their Installation Guide. Also c.f. the
mkkickstart
> manual page to get a sample script generated from an
installed
> machine's configuration.
>
> --
> Fletch                | "If you find my answers
frightening,