[ale] Disk Image Question

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Fri Aug 25 18:35:05 EDT 2000

Hi Jeff,

So, as long as I included drivers for the hardware I would
be using in the target machines, it should work without any
problem?  I have NO problem developing a very specific set
of hardware criteria - say, choice of 3 video cards, choice
of three NIC's, etc, and then limiting my future Servers to
these criteria to make sure this system would work.

Also, I will be doing this for two reasons - BACKUP, as well
as Server replication.  For example, I want to use
removeable SCSI drives (2 for each server), have the first
drive be the main boot/system drive (3 or 4 partitions -
boot/system, swap, applications and data - though
applications may reside on the same partition as the
Boot/System), and have a 3 drive system for
backup/redundancy - one drive would be the normal 'mirror'
drive that is always running except when another image is
being made, the second and third would be used as emergency
replacements and would be re-imaged anytime any major
changes were made to the original, one kept off-site in a
fire-safe, and the other kept on-site (also in a
fire-safe)for fast access.

I am mainly concerned that I may just be dreaming wanting to
do this in this way - it APPEARS to be a simple and
effective (both in terms of cost and implementation) way to
manage disater-recovery.  I have never liked tape backups,
by the way, in case you haven't figured that out by now.

Thanks for the responses.

-------

Charles Marcus

Behalf Of Jeff
> Hubbs
> Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 5:49 PM
> To: Charles Marcus; ale at ale.org
> Subject: RE: [ale] Disk Image Question
>

> Charles -
>
> I'm not a big fan of the procedure myself, but a few
people here have
> indicated that what you are saying is essentially correct.
The effect
> you're describing would basically walk around the reasons
why
> Ghosting is
> generally discouraged for machine-to-machine "brain
> transplants" for NT.
> Now, you could obviously get yourself in trouble if you've
> compiled your
> kernel a certain way or left out certain modules in your
> Ghost "donor" that
> you might wind up needing later, but by the same token,
you
> can turn that
> into a strength by including additional drivers for NICs,
etc.

> - Jeff

more
> > knowledgeable than myself that Linux is not nearly as
picky
> > about NT as far as hardware goes - that if driver
support is
> > available in the kernel for the hardware in the box, I
can