[ale] scripting passwd change

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 23 16:24:54 EDT 2000

Ben Phillips wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 ChrisColeman at mail.clayton.edu wrote:
>
> > The script is expecting you to enter the password as an argument to the
> > script.
>
> Oops.  Sorry...  actually I did, I just forgot to post as such:
>
> $ ./cpasswd.tcl oldpassword newpassword
> spawn passwd
> Changing password for pynk
> (current) UNIX password:
>
> ...and then it sits there and looks at me until it finally times out.

When you run passwd manually, does it prompt with something
that ends in "ssword:" each time? The Slack 7 passwd uses:

"Old password:"
"New password:"
"Confirm new password:"

If the prompts don't end in "ssword:" it's never going to
see the string it expects, and will time out. Just change
the "expect" strings in the script to match whatever
passwd really says.

If that's not the problem, then I am out of clues :-(

-- Joe

--
*** Joseph Knapka ***
In any formula, constants (especially those obtained from handbooks)