[ale] scripting passwd change

Ben Phillips pynk at angband.org
Wed Aug 23 15:26:26 EDT 2000

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Joe Knapka wrote:

> #!/usr/bin/expect
> spawn passwd
> expect "ssword:"
> send [lindex $argv 0]
> expect "ssword:"
> send [lindex $argv 1]
> expect "ssword:"
> send [lindex $argv 1]
> expect eof

I can't get this to work for some reason.  All I get is:

$ ./cpasswd.tcl
spawn passwd
Changing password for pynk
(current) UNIX password:

...and then it sits there and looks at me until it finally times out.
Personally, I'm betting this is PAM weirdness.  Maybe I should grab a
non-PAM-aware passwd executable out of a Slack distrib or something?

                      __   _                 "I hate to advocate drugs,
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,     alcohol, violence or
pynk at post.com        |  | ()|||||||||[:::)    insanity, but they've
                     \__.-._)         '''     always worked for me."
		                                 -- Hunter S. Thompson