[ale] Upgrading to a new Hard Disk

Ken Nagorski kenn at pcintelligent.com
Wed Aug 23 11:32:54 EDT 2000

I have not done anything like this on a sparc before but there are a few
things, get a boot disk, I think there is a tomsrb for linux, then get
both drives in the mahcine. After this boot off the bootdisk and partition
the drive. Make a couple of mount points, i.e. old, new, mount both drive
s and "cd /old", then tar it up, "tar cvp * >/new/files/tar" once that is
done "cd /new" and issue "tar xvf files.tar" this shoudl extract the files
to the /new partition.

now that the fiels are moved over there is one thing that could give you a
hard time and that is lilo, you need to make sure you have chroot on the
boot disk, the "chroot /new" and run lilo, remove the old disk and give it
a try. Agian I have done something almost like this on a PC but never on
a sparc so I am not sure...

Hope it helps
Ken