[ale] IBM to toss AIX?

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue Aug 22 13:12:35 EDT 2000

That's not entirely accurate, but what they ARE doing is scuttling Project
Monterrey, which was going to be the next-gen AIX for IBM, Sequent (which
IBM snapped up last year) and SCO (whose UNIX division is being acquired by
Caldera). Looks like the new AIX is going to be Linux with some key Monterrey
add-ons, which may or may not be open-sourced.

There's also been several stories about IBM adopting Linux under a
"pervasive OS" strategy, meaning that they ultimately intend for Linux to
run on nearly every HW platform of theirs possible, from handhelds and
wearables to mainframes and supercomputers (though I never hear the AS/400
and Linux mentioned in the same breath - at least not yet).

Slashdot ran a story based on a ZDNet article. Here's the link to the ZDNet
scoop:

http://www.zdnet.com/sp/stories/news/0,4538,2617306,00.html