[ale] internal vs external mail

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Mon Aug 21 18:16:28 EDT 2000

For reference, I'm running 8.10.x where as 'teller' appears to be running
8.9.3 so file locations may be slightly different

~~
To configure sendmail to allow relay from local hosts

  sendmail.cf contains a line of the form

    Kaccess hash /etc/mail/access

  and /etc/mail/access contains something like

    192.168 RELAY

~~
To configure sendmail to use 'local' delivery for internal users

  sendmail.cf contains multiple lines of the form

    Cw localhost
    Cw external.domain.one
    Cw internal.domain.one
    Cw internal.domain.two

  (each member of class 'w' is considered a local domain)

~~
To configure sendmail to use a canned name

  sendmail.cf contains a line of the form

    Djsomehost.somedomain.com

  (note that the reverse IP lookup must succeed)

~~
For reference, there is little difference between an incoming MTA connection
and an incoming MUA connection; they both have to talk SMTP.

  <- Server identification
  -> HELO my.hostname.is
  <- 200 OK
  -> MAIL FROM: joker at metropolis.gov
  <- 250 OK
  -> RCPT TO: batman at thecave.org
  <- 250 OK
  -> DATA
  <- 250 OK last line contains single period
  -> message header stuff
  -> blank line
  -> message body stuff
  -> .
  <- 250 OK message accepted for delivery
  -> QUIT
  <- 250 OK see ya around

~~
Reading Costales & Allman's "Sendmail" is why I know this stuff...
(not to mention -quite- a few misconfigurations)