[ale] lprng remote?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rnd-consulting.com
Mon Aug 21 00:12:49 EDT 2000

Here's what I'd put in that file before I restarted my lpd's and
tried thos prints:

# Set default permissions
DEFAULT ACCEPT
# Reject any connections from outside our subnet
REJECT SERVICE=X NOT REMOTEIP=208.37.210.160/255.255.255.224
# Only accept Printing (P) and spooling (LPR) from
# Engineering Lab or the Dean's office
REJECT SERVICE=P,R NOT REMOTEHOST=*.rnd-consulting.com
# Do not accept forwarded jobs for printing
REJECT SERVICE=P FORWARD
# Allow only the administrators control access
#ACCEPT SERVICE=C,M REMOTEHOST=spooler.eng.sdsu.edu REMOTEUSER=root,papowell
#ACCEPT SERVICE=C,M SERVER REMOTEUSER=root,papowell
# Allow only the user on the same host who spooled job to remove it
ACCEPT SERVICE=M SAMEUSER SAMEHOST
# Allow users to check status
ACCEPT SERVICE=C LPC=status
REJECT SERVICE=C

Thus spake Bryan Veal (veal at uga.edu):

> On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 09:33:55PM -0600, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> > Ok,
> >   I have lprng working happily on my print server for that machine only.
> > I'm trying to print from a remote host though, but when I do an "lpq"
> > from that machine, I get:
>
> By your mail headers it appears this is a Debian system.  Debian puts
> the lprng config files in /etc/lprng.  In particular,
> /etc/lprng/lpd.perms is where print server permissions are set up.
>
> A simple example:
>
> DEFAULT ACCEPT
> REJECT SERVICE=X NOT REMOTEIP=208.36.0.0/255.254.0.0
> # Accepts connections, spooling, printing, lpq, lprm, lpc by default,
> # rejects connections from anyone outside your subnet.
>
> --
> Bryan Veal, Web Programmer and Content Provider
> Warnell School of Forest Resources, The University of Georgia
> email:  veal at uga.edu / phone:  706-542-1965 / fax:  706-542-3342

:wq!
                                \_       that important!
DISCLAIMER: