[ale] current pulled by computer power supply

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Sun Aug 20 22:00:21 EDT 2000

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> 	In dealing with the overloads, we discovered that one real BAD
> boy in our office were these halogen mood lamps that some managers loved.
> Each one is about 250 Watts, drawing over 2 Amps each.  The jerks would
> have two of these things burning in their office.  Their entire computer
> would be pulling less than 1.5 amps and their tossing almost 5 amps on
> their damn lights.  They were really pissed when I shut them all down.
> One even challenged me saying "well just how do YOU know they draw all
> this power?"  I pulled out the current meter and they shut up real
> quick.  The VP of engineering was just rolling on the floor at that point.

Sure.  I can remember reading in the manual for an computer I had once
upon a time (I think it was the C-64 I had in the early 80's) that
computers draw less power than a light bulb.  Seems like it holds true
today, eh?

On lights:  I have a terminally low electric bill for my house, despite
having several computers running 24/7, my main box, Hermes, even sounds
like he should draw a lot (he has 4 cooling fans, including those in an
external SCSI enclosure) but they don't draw much.  I have my whole home
lit with fluorescent lights, and so the overall bill is extremely low.
The utility reports that our usage is about 1/3 of the average.

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
Don't Steal - The government hates competition.