[ale] openssh and $DISPLAY

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Sun Aug 20 14:58:35 EDT 2000

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 08:51:16AM -0600, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> Can OpenSSH be told to set the $DISPLAY variable "automatically" like
> the commercial ssh1 does?

	Mine does all the time.  You just have to turn on X11 forwarding
in BOTH the client and the server configuration files.  In OpenSSH, it
defaults to NO in both cases, unlike SSH which defaults to YES in both
cases.  Switch that, and it works great for me (I even helped debug some
of it about 6 months ago).

> :wq!
> Robert L. Harris                |  Micros~1 :
> Senior System Engineer          |    For when quality, reliability
>   at RnD Consulting             |      and security just aren't
>                                 \_       that important!
> DISCLAIMER:
> FYI:
>  perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/