[ale] Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:24:00 -0500

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 17 19:33:01 EDT 2000

"Brian J. Dowd" wrote:

> Why, if they just distributed the binary code dynamically linked to the
> GPL'd libs, would that cause their code to become GPL'd? I think they
> could do this. I also think they will put out a MSLinux. The kernel
> would be GPL'd but their binary object code could check to make sure
> that it was an 'MS Linux' installation.

It's true that they could avoid much of their code becoming GPL'd,
but they could not make changes to the kernel "in secret". (Hmm,
I guess they could distribute kernel modules without GPL exposure
as well.) I really don't care what M$ does in userspace or how they
do it, as long as I can still run other open-source apps on the
platform. I want to know if they're going to break the
TCP/IP stack, but I don't care if they distribute a bunch of
cryptic junk to get Excel to run, or make DCOM work, or
whatever.

> It might even have to be re-licensed periodically over the internet on a
> random basis. They would make the case that their brand of Linux comes
> with MS support. They could easily follow the RedHat model.

RedHat doesn't ever ask people to re-license stuff they've already
paid for, do they? In any case, I have no problem with *anyone*
charging for support (that they actually supply - I do have a problem
when I'm charged for support that consists of a recording that
says, "All our customer service representatives are assisting
others. The average wait time is 26.2 years. Your call will be
answered in the order it was received. Sucker.")

> Do you think
> the vast majority of computer users out there care about GNU or GPL
> issues?

I think most computer users never read license terms at all, and
don't realize that they're basically buying a pig in a poke every
time they pay for closed-source software.

--
*** Joseph Knapka ***
In any formula, constants (especially those obtained from handbooks)