[ale] assigning ip to second interface

John M. Trostel john.trostel at gtri.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 17 06:56:24 EDT 2000

---Reply to mail from Gary Maltzen about [ale] assigning ip to second interface

I had assumed that (c:

The "LOCALINK" entry has puzzled me a bit though.  Thanks for clearing
that up for me.  Now I just have to figure out which W98 machines are
poorly configured in the network when this occurs.

I assume that there must be devices other than W98 boxes that attempt the
same DHCP lookup and they may exhibit the same sort of behavior also.

> 1) Apparently you *ASSUME* that 169.254 is the ONLY address block managed by
> ISI.EDU; that the address block is reserved by ISI.EDU is misleading - in
> conjunction with IANA, ISI.EDU holds the reservation on all the
> reserved-for-private-use blocks.
>
> 2) "what prevents them from colliding" is the algorithm for randomly
> selecting one of the 65,534 addresses in this block and checking to see if
> it is already in use. NOTE that this block is intended for "Local Link" use;
> i.e. locally networked appliances. This is an alternative for use when there
> is no BOOTP/DHCP server.
>
> 3) Windows 98, failing to find a DHCP server, will use this algorithm. If
> you are seeing attempts to access your network from 169.254, it is probably
> poorly configured Win98 systems.
>
> # whois 169.254.1.1
>
> Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
>  (NETBLK-LINKLOCAL)
>    For use with Link Local Networks
>    Information Sciences Institute
>    University of Southern California
>    4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
>    Marina del Rey, CA 90292-6695
>
>    Netname: LINKLOCAL
>    Netblock: 169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255
>
> # whois 192.168.1.1
>
> IANA
>  (IANA-CBLK-RESERVED)
>    Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
>    Information Sciences Institute
>    University of Southern California
>    4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
>    Marina del Rey, CA 90292-6695
>
>    Netname: IANA-CBLK1
>    Netblock: 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.0

---End reply
John M. Trostel                     john.trostel at gtri.gatech.edu
GTRI / EOEML / URPO                         _
Georgia Institute of Technology            / \  ASCII Ribbon
Atlanta, GA  USA                           \ /  Campaign Against
                                            X   HTML Mail
                                           / \