[ale] Hardware Part II

Jennifer Taylor JMTaylor at wpo.co.chatham.ga.us
Wed Aug 16 11:55:05 EDT 2000

** Low Priority **

OK, here's the deal:  Pentium boxes go from $25 - $40 depending on speed (75 - 100mhz), for which you get a case, power supply, motherboard, pentium chip and heat sink, and sometimes RAM.   There are very few of these and I don't know how many I'll be able to get.

486/66s with everything in them are $20.  That's chip, motherboard, 2 to 8 MB RAM (varies), 200 - 500 MB HDD, video card, sometimes an ethernet or token ring NIC, sometimes (rarely) a CD-ROM.  All have floppy drives.  Some are mini-towers and generic, some are Compaq Proliant and Deskpros.

486/25s are $8 per, for a whole system.  It's a crapshoot on what you get, but for $8 who cares.  You can't hardly eat fast food for $8.

He's got VGA monitors, mostly 14", for $8 per.   SVGA 14" are $20.  He's got HP LaserJet II and IIIs and I'm not sure but I think they're $40 or $60 per...great for parts and most of 'em still work just fine.  Also all sorts of other various wierd stuff, ask me for it and I'll try to get it.  72-pin SIMMs are $1 / MB.

I don't know if these prices are high or crazy low or what.  I'm buying a pallet of stuff, if anyone wants to give me specific orders I'll add it to the pallet.  I live in Savannah but would be willing to meet an Atl person 1/2 way in Dublin or something.  If you want something and ask me for it and I rent a truck and drive up to Dublin and you don't show, I'll hunt you down like a dog and make you miserable. ;)  So SERIOUS people only, please, and no whining that your wives will kill you. ;)   I'm not making any money off of this I just know how hard it is to find old hardware for cheap to play with and god forbid learn on.