[ale] Redhat 6.2

Scott Nolde smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
Fri Aug 11 17:38:33 EDT 2000

Ken N wrote:

> OK - I am a little baffeled, I did some comparing on the fresh redhat box
> in Cleveland and on this one didn't find any problems. All the files where
> the same. Anyway I did take good advice and installed the latest proftpd.
> :)
>
> As far as diggin around in there I did alot of that and can't find sqaut.
> So I don't know, if someone has hacked they have hidden thier tracks
> really well cept for two lame logins? I have no idea...
>
> Thanks
> Ken.

Maybe the alleged hacker didn't transfer his goods yet.  Have you done a
search for suid root binaries (and install dates)?  Check the /dev
directory for anything suspicious.  Maybe something will show up...
maybe not.

Are there any extranneous processes running when the server should be up
and running?

- Scott

--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
glaze!                       |