[ale] Redhat 6.2

Scott Nolde smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
Fri Aug 11 14:35:16 EDT 2000

Ken N wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I just instlled a redhat 6.2 server and found some strange
> accounts on it not to much later. they where mind and mind1, one of them
> is a root account. I can't seemed to found any info pointing to that fact
> that this box is hacked but I am a little freaked out. Anyone have any
> ideas? The only thing running on this box is
>
> ssh on an odd port
> httpd
> wu-ftpd-2.6.0-3.i386.rpm
>
> I am a little paraniod so if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it,
>
> thanks
> Ken

> http://cleveland.lug.net/~rocket/
>
> "Beer is proof that god loves us and
>         wants us to be happy"
>
> Ben Franklin

I think most everyone will suggest the 'format and reinstall' solution.
Wu-ftpd has had a nasty bug since '94 which could be used to execute
arbitrary code as root.  This fact was just reported earlier this year.
A common slogan has been "Wu-ftpd: providing root access since 1994."

For fun, check to see if a few binaries have changed, notably login,
syslog, who, and last.

Perhaps if you report what you find, we could all learn from this.

- Scott
--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
glaze!                       |