[ale] Ghosting software

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Thu Aug 10 10:01:03 EDT 2000

Eric -

I don't disagree with the letter of what you're saying, but what I was
trying to say in so many words is that the process relies on a big
assumption that isn't necessarily true - namely, that the target machines
are all identical.  The question then becomes, to what extent do the tiny
differences between machines matter to the OS/drivers?  What I recall
reading some time ago reagrding Ghost on NT is that this guy took some
superficially identical machines, did identical NT installs on them, and
observed minor differences in some file or files that were created and he
was able to trace the differences to chipset variations.  He then surmised
that had one variation of machine been Ghosted to another, there would be a
very clear mismatch between what was in the box and what the OS thought was
in the box and that in some cases, that could lead to serious flakiness.
The nature of this pathology would be such that yes, there could be times
where you could Ghost 100 machines from 1 and never ever have a problem -
but there also could be times where you do the exact same thing and all 100
machines bathe their users in deadly blue rays on a regular basis.

What makes this problem rather inscrutable is that it would be hard to tell
that Ghosting was the root cause.  Some people get BSODs rather regularly
and live with it, but I have to ask myself, how many techies routinely Ghost
Win98 machines that regularly BSOD (like my officemate's) and they'll never
make the connection.

- Jeff