[ale] Insolence of those asking for FREE help on public lists

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Wed Aug 9 17:26:36 EDT 2000

I feel that the "FM," in the form of HOWTOs, FAQs, and man pages, has the
overarching defect of not being arranged in a way that corresponds to how
people encounter problems.  The way I envision it, a Linux problem can be
represented by some point in N-dimensional space, yet the body of FMs lives
on a flat plane within that space, and it's left up to you to chart a course
from your point in N-space to the nearest point on that plane.  In other
words, you have to "reduce" your dimensions (in much the same way that
casting the shadow of a 3-D wireframe cube onto a wall reduces the spatial
dimensions of the figure from 3 to 2) to find the pertinent information and
then "expand" that information back to your N-space situation.  The fly in
that ointment is that, well, there are plenty of wire structures you can
make other than a cube that can make a cube's shadow - my point being that
you can easily "expand" incorrectly.

For instance, my new system is based on an Asus K7V mobo, which has its own
audio built in (Via AC97).  Mandrake 7.1 detects it but can't make it work.
I found info to the effect that I need the ALSA drivers (that's my point on
the plane) but nothing that specifically outlines what I need to do to set
up the ALSA drivers for my mobo.  In order to do it, I have to interpret
highly generic instructions in a way specific to my situation.

In lieu of a FAQ, I wish there were some kind of way to represent the
different "areas" of a Linux system that gave you a way to drill into each
one in different directions, kind of in layers.  For instance, for my AC97
problem I might follow a path in this help system that looked like
audio/Asus/K7V/Mandrake-7.1 and I'd get instructions for how to get the
onboard audio on an Asus K7V mobo under Mandrake 7.1 - this help system
would somehow already know that the K7V's audio was AC97 and that the ALSA
drivers were required.  This would take some kind of deep linking but I
don't think off the charts techno-wise.