[ale] Hacking root password

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Aug 9 09:11:37 EDT 2000

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 08:44:38AM -0400, Carl Forsell wrote:
> Well, back to this beast... I have been trying this suggestion as well as
> others and have had no luck.

> I can catch it at the lilo boot and enter linux -s... it does take me to
> single user mode... and then asks for the root password.

> I have noticed that the "recovery" disk that I have tried booting from is
> generic and it appears as though the scsi controller is not being
> initialized

> I pray to thee, oh gods of knowledge, help me to rise from this sea of
> ignorance and dispair that are binding my very soul!

	Ok...  Have you tried the LinuxCare recovery CD?  If you don't
have one or can't get one readily, I'm sure there will be people with
some at ALE (maybe me).  You might try downloading off their web site
(it's something like a 40 Meg ISO image) and burning it to a CD.  If
THAT recovery disk doesn't recognize your SCSI controller, I'd be
really currious what you scsi controller is!

  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/