[ale] .htaccess Pass word protection

Carl Forsell cforsell at roman.net
Tue Aug 8 10:04:53 EDT 2000

Good morning all...

Our mailserver is running suse6.3 and apache (It is the current level, but
not sure of the version number - any hint on how to find the version
number?).

I have a user (customer)  whose web site has several directories that are
password protected.  According to the customer, if any directory has an
.htaccess file in the directory, the server should, by default,  read that
filefirst,  then send a request for the password before opening the HTML.

If I go to the customers url, and add /(directory name)/(file.html) I see
what he does not want the world to see.

Is there a module that needs to be loaded on the server to activate this
function, or is there something I need to do?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...