[ale] Bellsouth NTS and Linux

Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 7 23:15:30 EDT 2000

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 17:03:01 +0000, joshy wrote:

>I have ADSL from BellSouth and it's a normal local network connection. You
>just set up your box to get a DHCP lease and you should be ready to
>go. You have to call up and tell them your MAC address though, because
>they filter based on it.

Evidently, not all BellSouth ADSL uses DHCP.  Some does use PPPOE.  My
brother's mother-in-law had BellSouth ADSL (actually, IFITL (Integrated
Fiber In The Loop, sort've an ADSL for fiber-to-the-sidewalk))
installed, and when I talked to the tech (Yes, I end up doing Family
Tech Support, why do you ask?), he said it used PPPOE.  I suspect at
some point, they've switched over to PPPOE for new installs.  They
wouldn't have given him the NTS client if it just needed DHCP set up.

I'll echo the suggestions of others: get the Roaring Penguin client.  I
never could get the NTS client to work on my Mindspring ADSL, but RP
did just fine.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com    | The attempt to legislatively